Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Canning Applesauce

Homemade applesauce is AMAZING! It doesn't even compare to the store bought applesauce.  However, it was pretty time consuming to make and an enormous amount of apples only yielded 3 quarts and 1 pint of applesauce.  I did get the apples at a  great price but if your just doing a price comparison, I believe the stores would have the homemade variety beat. But, if your comparing taste-homemade is exponentially better.
The process is time consuming but not hard.  Here is what I did.

I washed the apples.


Then I cored them(I didn't peel them).


I then cooked them in a huge stockpot with about an inch of water until they were mushy.
Afterwards, I have this really cool attachment for my Kitchen Aid that purees fruits..
See..Look!


Applesauce!


Then, I seasoned the applesauce with some cinnamon and kept it warm so I could can it.  I think next time I'll just freeze it in serving portions rather than can it.
But seriously...It is so good-I'll definitely make it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment