Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Vasolopita (gluten free version)

 Since going gluten free I haven't made a cake. I've made cookies, brownies and cupcakes, but not an actual cake.
I couldn't find a gluten free version of Vasilopita and really wanted to start this tradition with our family.  It's a Greek tradition in the Orthodox church.  This age old tradition commenced in the fourth century, when Saint Basil the Great, who was a bishop, wanted to distribute money to the poor in his Diocese. He commissioned some women to bake sweetened bread, in which he arranged to place gold coins. Thus the families in cutting the bread to nourish themselves, were pleasantly surprised to find the coins.


Traditionally, this is a sweet bread but I just couldn't find something similar that was gluten free.  I figured cake is sweet and I've seen several recipes for gluten free cake, so we went with that.  
I don't think anyone minded...lol...
It's certainly not the prettiest cake in the world, but it was good.  
The big boys guessed that Joseph would get the coin and they were right!
I guess Joseph will have special blessings this year!






2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you are at least trying to figure out a way to keep the traditions and still be gluten free! My family is trying to be Paleo... at least most of the time... it does make tradition hard though, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly does but we are trying (:

    ReplyDelete