Monday, September 13, 2010

A clean and green bathroom...


I've been using environmentally friendly and frugal cleaning products for years.  They work just as good as their chemically laden counterparts and are not only much better for the environment but so much cheaper.
My bathroom cleaning essentials are:
Hot vinegar(warmed in the microwave) in a spray bottle.  This works great for the toilet and the boy's fiberglass shower/tub combo.  I sometimes put in some tea tree or lavender essential oils for a good fragrance and extra anti-bacterial help.  For the floor of the tub I make a paste of baking soda and peppermint castile soap.  This works great and smells fresh and clean.  I keep my baking soda in a parmesean shaker and it works great!
I also use baking soda and vinegar for inside the toilet.  This bubbles like crazy(remember the volcano project from school?  Same thing...let sit for 15 min...swish and rinse...
For the sink, I use the same baking soda/castille soap paste and scrub all the hard water (and toothpaste) off and it works great.  Then I use white washclothes and rubbing alcohol to shine the faucet handles and faucet.
I also make my own windex using about 1/4 a cup of ammonia(not the most enviromentally friendly but it works really well)-you can use vinegar but I still like the ammonia.  Fill the rest of the spray bottle with water and just a couple of drops of castille soap.  It works great!  This is used for cleaning the mirror.
Lastly, I use a steam mop to clean the floors.  It uses no chemicals but the steam cleans and sanitizes the floors. 
Then, I look back and admire my work!  Clean, green and frugal!

No comments:

Post a Comment