Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Well it's done...


See that picture ? The one with the loooonnnnggg driveway? It's mine...all mine..well and Darryl's too (-:
We closed today on a property. It's a little over 5 acres of land. I'm happy and scared and feel a little like I might throw up-I feel all these things at the same time. I've always *thought* I wanted to live in a small town-well, whether I want to or not, it's happening now....It's really small with just 1 grocery store, a pharmacy, a handful of locally owned restaurants, and a hardware and feed store. Oh, and of course, lots of churches. You can't call yourself a self respecting small town in the South and not have a bunch of churches. At least I'll have somewhere to go when I'm freaking out! Please pray for us..this is huge move...
My friend told me we have lots of Hickory nut trees on the property so I may name our little heaven on earth...Hickory Nut Homestead..what do you think?
The builder will start building in about 3 weeks. We are moving AGAIN over there to be close to the property so we can be involved in the building process and start on some projects like a fire pit and a chicken coop.
Nicholas asked me today if he had to wear overalls on the farm(I know it's only 5 acres-but its a small farm to us so bear with me when you hear me calling it a farm-especially if your reading this and do own a real farm I know this probably makes you giggle.) I told him he only had to wear them if he wanted too. He's already begun wearing his hat like a country boy. If he asks for a fish hook to put on the bill..we'll we will cross that line when we get to it...
(For all my Northern friends and family who don't understand that-Country boys in the South who like to fish wear a fish hook on the bills of their baseball hats-I don't know why... they just do-I guess it's in case they get an inklin' to go fishin' they at least have a hook ready)
Anyway, we all feel like little homestead pioneers now. I did get a bit scared last night when I thought of the nights when Darryl is away and we are all alone in those woods. Yes, I have neighbors and you can see them through the trees now with all the leaves off...but still...I'm glad Darryl agreed to buying me a rifle this year and Bo Bear can be pretty scary...
I've started to ramble...this is due to me freaking out a bit...bear with me as this may occur quite frequently during this whole process...
Pray, pray, pray for us please. It is a happy day, but a huge change.

Edited to add: Darryl just read this and laughed..he told me I've rabbit trailed all over the place and sound a little crazy. Well, hmmphhh..it's my blog so deal with it. I AM a little crazy, what of it? He's a little crazy to be married to me...so take that!
O.k....I'm getting cuckoo now and Darryl is pouring me a glass of wine..apparantly I need it for his sake and mine...

2 comments:

  1. So so exciting!! I don't think you will ever look back once ya'll are all settled on the land with your chickens and all. So fun!!! Email me and tell me where it is if you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right decision. You are going to be so happy out there on Hickory Nut Homestead, your forever home!!!

    ReplyDelete