Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Turkey Carcass Soup


After Thanksgiving the last thing I wanted to think about was more cooking or turkey for that matter but after years of making wonderful stock from our leftover chicken bones, I knew I could do the same with the turkey bones.  So, I froze the turkey carcass (and hoped I wouldn't about it).  Well, Monday it was COLD here, snow was on the ground and my boys weren't feeling their best...I knew I had to make soup.  So, I searched my favorite site Allrecipes.com to see if there was something besides stock I could do with a turkey carcass...this soup!!
It's soooo good!  This picture is from yesterday where I kept in on the burner on low all day.  Nicholas wasn't feeling well so I thought I would have it ready for when he wanted something warm to eat.  I was also baking alot and thought it would be easier to have something ready when Matthew and I needed a baking break (-:
This recipe makes alot!! I still have about 1/3 of a pot left for lunch today and I think I'll freeze the rest for when someone comes up sick.  I also had 4 quart jars of stock saved from it in the freezer.
It's super good, really nutritious and thrifty!!







Turkey Carcass Soup
(adapted from a recipe found on Allrecipes.com)

1 Leftover Turkey Carcass
3 onions, chopped
3 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1/2 cup of butter
1 c flour
1 cup of milk
1 cup of  brown rice
2tsp sea salt
1 tsp. chicken bouillion
3/4 tsp black pepper

Place turkey carcass in kettle/soup pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for several hours(the longer you simmer, the better flavor-I simmered it about 4 hours).  Remove the carcass and cool.  Set aside 3 1/2 quarts of broth for soup(I had more than this that I just froze to use for other recipes)
Remove turkey meat from bones-I was shocked at how much meat we still had on the bones..I estimated about 3 cups of meat!
In the now empty soup pot, saute onions, carrots and celery in butter.  Redue heat, stir in flour until blended.  Gradually add 1 qt. broth and bring to a boil..cook 2 minutes.  Add milk, rice, salt, bouillion, pepper, remaining broth and turkey meat.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes until rice is tender.

I made some whole wheat biscuits to accompany the soup and topped them my favorite way-with butter and raspberry jam!




No comments:

Post a Comment