Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Book Recommendation

I love to read. I don't have alot of extra time to read, but when I find a good book it's hard to put it down. Well, I've found a sweet, little book that is really precious. It's called Amish Peace-Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World by Suzanne Woods Fisher. This book is so wonderful. It has little chapters with questions at the end on how you can apply Amish living to your life. It also has these wonderful Amish proverbs at the beginning of each chapter. I want to make little country signs with all of these and place them around my house. Some of my favorites:
*
*If you sense your faith is unraveling, go back to where you dropped the thread of obedience.

*It is better to hold out a helping hand than to point a finger.

*Trusting God turns problems into opportunities.

*Our duty is not to see through one another but to see one another through.

*Beware of the man who knows the answer before he understands the question.

*God likes small people. He cannot use big ones.

*Enjoy today, it won't come back.

*We live simply so that others may simply live.

*It's better to have a wife on your team than on your back.(I need to memorize this one!)

*We should not put a question mark where God has put a period.

*The person that forgives does more for himself than anyone else.(I know someone in my life that we talked about this recently...I hope she's reading)

*There are no degrees of honesty.

*Swallowing words before you say them is so much better than having to eat them afterwards.
(I need to memorize this one also!!)

*We can stop forgiving others when Christ stops forgiving us.(another one about the power of forgiveness!)

*Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

*We are not promised skies always blue, but a Helper to see us through.

* The higher a man gets in divine grace, the lower he will be in his own esteem.

*Before we can pray "Thy Kingdom Come" we must pray " My kingdom go"

As you can see, I love these little proverbs. There are many more is this book and precious stories about the Amish and there way of living. Although I wasn't born into an Amish family, it doesn't mean that I can't adopt some of there values and ways of thinking. They truely are a special people and I've enjoyed reading this book.
(P.S. If you live near me...the library has one copy-I still have it but it's due Feb. 6 so reserve it-you won't be disappointed)

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog. Makes me want to get back to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just requested the book! BTW, where are you living now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful.... I'm also wondering what you thought of The Happiness Project. Someone recommended it to me. I am sometimes fearful of reading anything of a non-Orthodox nature.... and I really shouldn't be because most of the ones I have read are not really; "anti" orthodox.... they just aren't full of thoughts from the Saints....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still wondering if you like the book - "The Happiness Project"? Do you think it is according to Orthodoxy and our beliefs/values?

    ReplyDelete