Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween part 1

Halloween is always super fun for me and the kids. This year we had 2 days of Halloween fun. On Friday, we went to a local town that was having a Halloween costume parade and the local merchants were giving out candy. The leaves are just about peak right now and it was so wonderful to walk through town with all the colors and leaves on the ground. The wind was blowing slightly so ever so often we would get hit with a blanket of leaves... It was lots of fun!

I love to plan what the boys are going to be for the big day and how I will create it. We have a tradition that I must make the costumes, so this year we had one challenge.


Meet Leonardo...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle...aka..Matthew


His costume was a bit of challenge from the start, but nothing I can't handle~
I made his shell from wire, bird netting and insulation foam. I bought a white turtleneck and white tights and dyed them green...Then, of course the yellow shirt with painted on turtle muscles, the homemade mask and belt and brown things on the elbows and knees and special Nerf swords and we have a complete costume! He loved the costume I made and kept thanking me for it. He really played the part and most pictures of him are posing in the standard Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle way.



Meet Dude...aka Nicholas...

His costume was fairly easy. He wanted to be a punk...So we hit the local thrift store and luckly in one outing I was able to buy some pants, old skater-type sneakers, a white t-shirt and a plaid overshirt-all for 1/2 off!! Wednesday's at Salvation Army are always 1/2 off and I got his whole outfit with shoes for $7.00. I then ripped the pants at the bottom and ripped the sleeves off of both shirts so we could see his cool tats...
He wanted me to write Punk Not Dead on his shirt. He got the idea from a Party City costume that wasn't nearly as cool but really expensive. I then mohawked his hair and we colored it three different colors. He loved it!! Everyone kept commenting about his hair. He played the part all night as well requiring us to call him "Dude"...






Matthew enjoying his loot!

Nicholas enjoying his bubble gum. I don't know if it was his costume or just the fact that he's going through a growth spurt, but he looked so big to me today. I fought back the tears several times. In fact, that night when we were watching our traditonal viewing of It's a Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, while I cuddled with Matthew, I cried several times.
These boys are such a blessing to me.





Matthew playing the part. He kept trying to battle several other children and had a battle with Buzz Lightyear at one point.


It was a great day!




















No comments:

Post a Comment