Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A little peek into my challenges as a homeschooling mother...

Today in history, we were studying the early Church and how the monks had to write the Bible by hand on parchment paper.  It talks about how they made the paper and also made the quill pens.  It went into lengthly detail on how the process was done and what was required of them.  They worked for 8 hours a day and it was very tedious work.  It stated (in one sentence at the very end of the lesson) that even though the monks were not permitted to talk they sometimes would joke around and make silly pictures on the corners of their papers...Well, when I asked the boys to write down a summary paragraph of what we learned as well as a picture to describe what the chapter was about..this is what I got...
Let me narrate the picture for you.  This is a picture of Nicholas on the toilet.  He is reading his required 30 minutes of reading a day...on the toilet.  I am at the door asking him to please hurry up or we will be late(it seems Nicholas does always make us late so I find this humorous because I'm a broken record about this with him) and he is saying to me Please don't come in Mommy....
Now, while the picture is completely hilarious, what does this have to do with a monk writing the Bible, I asked him.  He told me it does because he remembered that the monks drew funny pictures sometimes.........
Incidentely, Matthew drew the Bible...
This is so indicatant of their personalities to a tee..Matthew follows the straight, predictable path.  He's my little rule follower..and well Nicholas...he's just....Nicholas...

2 comments:

  1. My 2 older boys are opposites like that. Caleb is always so serious and Jeremy is always cutting up. I was wondering if you could give me some info on where you get your milk. I also have questions about chickens and food co-ops as well. I am listed in the CCHSA directory if you want to call me or email is fine also. We are night owls so anytime before midnight is fine to call. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete