Saturday, September 5, 2009


This is my pumpkin yield for the season. Not very big but I only planted two plants and kept killing the vines because they were taking over the yard. This being my first real season of planting and actually taking care of my garden, I think it's pretty good. These are heirloom variety pumpkins and I love the shape of the two larger ones. They are on proud display throughout my home as I add a little splash of fall this afternoon. I love them!!
I've harvested a ton of tomatoes this season. Mostly they were little Roma types. My big tomatoes never really took off. I think I spaced the plants way to close together so I definitely learned to give them more room next season. Nevertheless, I'm dried some, I've canned some, and we've eaten a ton! The gourds are still hanging on and I'm super excited to see how they turn out too. My okra is on fire and they get so big so fast, it's hard to keep up.
I've canned the last of the cucumbers making a bunch of sweet relish and I'm hoping in a couple of weeks when we go apple pickin' to can a bunch of apples, applesauce, etc. I've never done that before so we'll see how it goes. I also planted a fall garden today-carrots, lots of spinach, red romaine lettuce, petit lettuce, swiss chard, brussel sprouts, and lots of cabbage. We love sauerkraut and it's really ,really good for you and so easy to make. I made some with our spring harvest of purple cabbage it was so good!
Here's to bountiful blessings and good harvest times!!
(I'm channeling my inner farm girl)...

No comments:

Post a Comment