Monday, January 25, 2010

A homeschooling mom's confession...

While I enjoy most aspects of homeschooling, I do not enjoy teaching science. In fact, last year we barely did any science...we just read books on science. Thankfully, the boys did well on their testing and I figured most 1st graders aren't exposed to too much science, so I gave myself a free pass to let it go. Well, now they are in 2nd grade and I figured I had to do something. So, I bought an astronomy course at the beginning of the year and while it's pretty interesting, I still wasn't feelin' it. Now, I can go crazy on history and art, but science just doesn't float my boat. I know I'm supposed to sacrifice for the better of my children, but there had to be a different way. I kept on pushing back the science until we ended up not doing it and just watching some Nova videos. Well, no more!!! Times like this I'm so thankful for technology! I've found several wonderful online science classes for grades 4 and up but couldn't find one for their age. But, after searching and searching, I found one!! Yippee! We signed up for Lessons worth Learning science club and this month they learned about states of matter. It was a great class, they got to intereact with the class via microphones and chats so it was like a real classroom. All I had to do was supervise, answer questions and help the boys with an experiment. They made lava lamps and had so much fun doing it. They love to do experiments and I hate that I haven't given them that opportunity very often. But, now we have a solution and I'm so grateful. Next month they will learn about hermit crabs and make a hermit crab habitat. They are so excited!

Watching the class online.

Oh my gosh! It's starting to bubble!


Cool!!







No comments:

Post a Comment